All products, images and designs on this website are the copyright of Stuart Fellowes, Longline Studio, Glasgow, Scotland (2006-2017) with all rights reserved
History in miniature
Celtic Cross & carved stones
Pictish Cross & carved stones
Historic Architecture models
This piece is a solid resin-cast scale depiction of Saint John’s Celtic cross on Iona. Presented as a re-construction of how the cross looked when it was first carved
St John’s cross thought to have been carved around AD 800. And stands 4.4 m high. The stone used to create it, chlorite-schist, is thought to have originally come from a quarry around the Loch Sween area of Argyll. The original cross suffered severe weathering over the centuries and fell to ruin. It was restored in 1926 and placed indoors, housed in the Nunnery Museum. The Cross standing outside the Chapel today is a concrete replica, constructed in 1970
Nothing is known about the early history of the cross. St. John’s Cross was placed in it’s exact spot outside the Abbey Chapel so that, late in the day, the shadow of the cross would be cast onto the doorway, emphasizing it’s sanctity.
St. John’s Cross is one of several crosses on Iona which showed visitors and pilgrims the way to the abbey The originally brightly painted stone crosses were places where people would stop and pray as they passed by.
Resin cast reproduction of Stuart Fellowes’ original sculpture.
C03 St. John’s Celtic Cross
Free postage to UK addresses Rest of the world = £5